zondag 4 oktober 2009

Roc d’Azur


After tattered preparations due to bad luck all around, I packed my car and drove off south. This is the first year that I'm a visitor to the Roc d'Azur; the first time that I had to look for a place to stay and the first time that I'm taking a holiday to go and ride. Up until now the Roc was held in my back yard and I had prepared on the tracks and trails themselves. In short, this is adventure again.



First stop, Mejannes le Clap, in Le Gard. First stop because I don't want to bother the friends where I'll be staying for too long, especially because my brother will join me too and that will make two of us in their house. First stop also to get some well-deserved rest, check-out the legs and enjoy the sun, the silence and the solitude. It is well worth it. I'm glad I decided not to get a hotel with a value of € 10K of bikes in the car and to drive on, despite the fatigue…the morning here was nice, the sun is shining and on my way to a grocery store in a small village close by, this feeling of rooted-ness…a funny word isn't it.



Anyway, let's stick to the riding. Two weeks of forced rest have not done the endurance-capacity a lot of good. The small sprints and short steep hills leave me breathless, with a biting twang to it. But when I ride the wide paths and I look at my gear I see that it's heavier than it feels…so strength wise all is well. Nice! I feel I miss the toughness of competition…again, a forced rest, so no last minute tests done. Heck, I enter a path, I know it's technical and I feel my shoulders tense up. Damn it, relax I tell myself and trust your legs and the bike…..The trail is tough, sharp stones and lots of loose rock but I manage to pass…..A test of mental toughness to regain the trust in my capacities. I'm happy and the fatigue of the last few weeks doesn't seem to bother me anymore. This is it….this is the way.



Roc d'Azur here I come. I won't win, but the feeling is back and I intend to enjoy myself out there. Another test tomorrow, longer than the 60 minutes of today to ride off the car journey, and then off to St Aygulf.

Geen opmerkingen: