woensdag 6 augustus 2008

Back home in Amsterdam




After a forced, yet pleasurable holiday in France, I came back to Amsterdam last week. The usual culture shock occured. The big city mentality that shocked me, the crowded streets and people taking the sidewalk for themselves; the defensiveness of the majority of people; survival mode......more and more I outgrow the city.

I go for rides, but get bored; the little technical hills to practise were vandalised by the local council....somebody complained that mountainbikers were having fun on these hills, and he/she didn't approve of it. Welcome back. It annoyed me.

Yesterday I cycled to Arnhem. Off I went in the morning and 4,5 hours later and 110km further I arrived. I was cold the whole way through. The weather forecast was slightly wrong and I carried only my team shirt....not enough when the system is comfortable at 30 C and all of a sudden its 10 degrees colder.

Don't think I'm not enjoying myself, although I sound grumpy. I am grumpy, mea culpa!!

My holidays were wonderful. Just have a look at the pictures. I witnessed nature renew itself when the cigale crouched out of its last shell; I visited the old village of Oppède le Vieux in le Luberon and was utterly amazed why people had chosen such a spot and height to build a church; my mum and I visited Cluny and were flabbergasted by the size and magnitude of the old abbey and what it has signified; we went out for dinner more often than financially sound, but had fun doing it; we got acquinted with lots of nice people whom I haven't said 'goodbye' to. All in all summer is doing its thing with and to me in a different way than usual and this is refreshing.

More later.

Geen opmerkingen: