zaterdag 10 mei 2008

First bush fire of the year?

I was happily eating a bisquit in the kitchen, looking out of the window to look at the cat, when I noticed this vale yellow haze in the distance. Just behind the Malmont....I was wondering....when all of a sudden it daunted to me; A fire. A big one by the looks of it and not far. At first I thought it was La Motte, as usual, but no...it's closer. Figanieres perhaps.

Merde. With the wind blazing since a few days, it's obvious that this is a tough one to crack for the firefighters. The wind from the Mediteranean, gusty, and sometimes even nippy....up to 80km/h.
It is this yellowish, brown colour that I will recognize forever, after my bush fire experience in 2005, when I had to secure the campground where I was working, where a van caught fire and burned down, because there was no pressure on the waterhose and where we ran from spot to spot with our big extinguisers, because the pine cones exploded and flew tens of metres far away to immediately catch fire on the ground.
It's a haze of clouds that veils the light of the sun and the sky and that turns your environment into an evening of sickening colour; that weighs heavy and that makes you bow your head.

It's the first fire of 'the season'. Coincidence that it happens with this wind? Has somebody been negligent with his or her cigaret but? Somebody burning leaves in the garden....surely, you're carefull with 80km/h blazes around your house. Will we ever know what has caused it...?

Geen opmerkingen: